Neon but nice
Thursday 26th September 2013, 11:31AM BST.
Whether your preferred home style is modern or traditional, a splash of neon or swatch of fluoro can instantly brighten the mood and change the tone of a room.
Indeed, designers have discovered they can highlight areas, create shadows and add interest when these contemporary pieces are put in the spotlight. Just one or two flashes of neon can look striking against a muted backdrop.
Michelle Alger, head of home at Heal’s, says: “The neon and fluoro trend started in the fashion industry and has really been embraced by the world of interiors.
“It’s a fantastic tool for adding accent to a room through a minimalist touch. From the washed-out, watercolour fluoro look of our Amy Sia cushions, to the cool, classic neons of the Waterford crystal range, it’s definitely a key trend for autumn/winter 2013 home collections.”
Here’s an up-to-the-minute colour chart to reflect the movement.
- Amy Sia Island Cushion, £70, Heal’s (www.heals.co.uk).
- Waterford Neon Decanter Lime Green, £240, Heal’s (www.heals.co.uk).
- Florescent masking tape, £3, Hedgehog (www.hedgehogshop.co.uk).
- Cactus lights, from £350, Conran (www.conranshop.co.uk, available in store and online from mid-October).
- Tate, Andy Warhol From Marilyn Pink 1967 (60 x 60cm), £120, John Lewis (www.johnlewis.co.uk).
- Laguile Tonic Teaspoons, Set of 6, £25, John Lewis (www.johnlewis.co.uk).
- Magimix Vision Toaster, £145, John Lewis (www.johnlewis.co.uk).
- Funk Rug (Multi, 70 x 200cm), normally £275, currently reduced to £199, Barker & Stonehouse (www.barkerandstonehouse.co.uk).
- Ercol Originals – Studio Couch, normally £2,750, currently reduced to £2,049, Barker & Stonehouse (www.barkerandstonehouse.co.uk).
- Paul Smith For Stelton – AddColour Tea Pot, £319, Paul Smith (www.paulsmith.co.uk).
- The Rosaline 3-Seater Sofa, from £1,899, Darlings of Chelsea (www.darlingsofchelsea.co.uk).
- Ferm Living KIDS cushion – Neon Raindrops, £28, The Kid Who (www.thekidwho.eu/).
- Keshia table lamp, £65, The Chandelier & Mirror Company (www.chandeliersandmirrors.co.uk).
- Classic radiators, from £528, Bisque (www.bisque.co.uk).
- Cable & Cotton ‘Acid Green’ hand-crafted cotton ball light cable (35 lights), £35, Hedgehog (www.hedgehogshop.co.uk, back in stock from October).