Fire door saved Union Street flat occupants
Friday 16th November 2012, 1:00PM GMT.
A REFURBISHED fire door saved residents from being trapped in a burning building, the Guernsey Fire and Rescue Service has said.
The blaze broke out in the ground floor flat of 7, Union Street at about 8am on Wednesday and destroyed the kitchen, hallway and airing cupboard of the apartment.
But community fire safety manager Andy Mauger said the situation could have been much worse if the flat’s fire door had not contained the blaze.
‘If the fire door had not been of the correct standard or poorly fitted, then it almost definitely would have spread to the rest of the building or on to neighbouring properties,’ he said.
- Preliminary findings have suggested than an electrical problem caused the blaze, which started in the airing cupboard, but further investigation is needed.
CampaignsVoice For Victims
Voice for Victims is a campaign aimed at promoting the rights of those affected by child sexual abuse.