Clare saves a life at the age of 10
Thursday 29th November 2012, 12:00PM GMT.
A 10-YEAR-OLD girl saved the life of a friend who had ‘turned purple’ as she choked on a sweet after school.
Clare Mawson performed lifesaving first aid on five-year-old Jemima Vhadra, who could not breathe when the chewy sweet lodged in her throat.
Clare has been nominated for the St John Ambulance Young First Aider of Year award for her quick-thinking reactions, putting into practice techniques she was taught at school around three years earlier.
She is a best friend of Jemima’s older sister, Emily, and jumped into action when they were playing in the back garden of the Vhadra family home in the Castel.