Wards close, operations on hold in drastic move
Thursday 29th November 2012, 10:00AM GMT.
HEALTH and Social Services has announced a series of drastic cuts to save money after confirming that it would overspend its budget by £2.5m. this year.
Minister Hunter Adam, pictured, said in a statement released today it was with ‘great reluctance’ that his department would take the action to curb costs.
The cuts, which take effect from Saturday, are to:
- Defer all non-emergency and non-urgent off-island treatment until January.
- Close a surgical ward and a theatre, and postpone all elective, contract surgery until January.
- Close Divette Ward and relocate patients to other ‘appropriate placements’.
- Cease recruitment to vacant posts, unless the post is demonstrated to be essential for patient, service user or public safety, and a business case is approved by all directors.
- Minimise the use of agency staff to provide cover and increase the use of bank and part-time staff wherever possible.
- Minimise weekend overtime duties and defer weekend work to weekdays wherever this is clinically appropriate.
Deputy Adam said the department was under significant financial pressure.
CampaignsVoice For Victims
Voice for Victims is a campaign aimed at promoting the rights of those affected by child sexual abuse.