Ward could have been kept open
Saturday 12th January 2013, 10:00AM GMT.
ENOUGH nurses were available to keep open De Sausmarez surgical ward, it has been revealed.
But Health and Social Services said that keeping staff on the ward instead of redeploying them elsewhere would have lowered safety standards in the Princess Elizabeth Hospital.
The department was forced to explain its actions after De Sausmarez Ward nurses told their union representative that a ‘full establishment’ of staff were keen to work on their own ward.
HSSD announced earlier this month that both De Sausmarez surgical ward and Divette ward would not reopen until they had staff.
The department had money available for personnel, but said it was unable to recruit enough qualified nurses to open the wards, which were closed at the end of November in an attempt to curb a £2.5m. overspend.
But it backtracked yesterday.
CampaignsVoice For Victims
Voice for Victims is a campaign aimed at promoting the rights of those affected by child sexual abuse.