Asbestos risk ‘minimal’ in blaze
Tuesday 12th February 2013, 3:00PM GMT.
HEALTH and Safety has said that the health risk posed by a burning garage with asbestos in its roof in Alderney was ‘minimal’.
Inspector Robin Gonard, whose office has analysed material from the former Mouriaux Garage’s roof, said the wet weather had helped to contain fibres.
The blaze broke out last Wednesday at around 4pm and it took fire crews six hours to fully extinguish it.
The disused garage was being used to store a builder’s materials.
Mr Gonard said because the material had been found in the roof of the garage it was likely to be waterproof cement asbestos – which meant that the fibres were bonded together.
CampaignsVoice For Victims
Voice for Victims is a campaign aimed at promoting the rights of those affected by child sexual abuse.