Judge rejects evidence in Groves murder trial
Tuesday 17th September 2013, 11:00AM BST.
PROSECUTION evidence put forward in the trial of the man accused of killing 24-year-old Sarah Groves has been rejected by a judge in Kashmir, it has been reported.
That means the case has been adjourned for a fifth time and is due to resume on 4 October.
Richard de Wit, 43, denies killing the Guernsey woman on a houseboat in Kashmir and then fleeing the state illegally.
According to national reports, prosecutors presented two alleged witnesses, a murder weapon and bloodstained clothing, but the judge ruled the evidence was inconsistent.
Miss Groves, pictured, was found stabbed to death on a houseboat where she had been staying with a local family in Srinagar on 6 April.
The two witnesses, believed to have been from the family, were a father and his son, who said he was Miss Groves’ boyfriend.
But online reports suggest the judge rejected their evidence as he said it did not match their previous statements.
It is also understood he rejected the murder weapon – a broken knife – and clothes labelling them as ‘inconclusive evidence’.