Pensioners warn of ‘struggle to survive’ with RPI-only increase
Saturday 21st September 2013, 9:30AM BST.
ELDERLY islanders have warned it will be an even greater ‘struggle to survive’ on the basic pension if it increases by RPI-only next year.
Anger and concern greeted the news that Social Security wanted to break from the traditional annual RPI+1% increase that had been expected. David Godfrey, 81, (pictured) of St Peter’s, labelled the proposal ‘disgusting’, claiming that many pensioners could do little more than ‘exist’ on the contribution they received now.
‘We live in one of the richest places in the world and yet they cannot look after pensioners,’ he said. ‘The amount of money that floats around here and yet we are getting to the stage where we are going to have two societies. One is the very rich and the other is the very poor.’
On announcing the proposals, Social Security minister Allister Langlois said pensioners had been receiving the above-inflation rise for several years.
Some elderly residents were more understanding of the RPI-only increase, including 80-year-old Roy Bridle. ‘You can always do with more, but that is better than nothing at all,’ he said.
Social Security’s plans will be debated by the States next month.