Housing warns over end to rent rebates
Thursday 26th September 2013, 12:00PM BST.
ABOLISHING rent rebates will leave hundreds of social housing tenants worse off and the alternative benefit rates are insufficient, the Housing Department has warned.
This view was backed up by residents of Les Genats Estate, who said they were scared for their future and could be forced to take drastic action.
Linda Forman, 64, who lives with her husband, fears they might have to leave the island if their rent increases to the full amount. She is originally from Birmingham, but has lived in the island with her local husband, Graham, for more than 40 years.
‘I don’t know what we would do,’ she said. ‘It would take up over half of his wages if we paid the full amount and he retires next year.’
In a damning indictment of Social Security’s plans to abolish the rebate scheme and move everyone receiving it onto supplementary benefit, Housing minister Dave Jones has attacked the way the information was released.
‘We pleaded with Social Security to delay submitting its report until we had been able to sort out the “transitional arrangements” because we wanted to be able to tell tenants exactly how we intended to protect those who would be worst affected. But for no good reason Social Security ignored us and ploughed on regardless, and now we’re left to clear up the mess they’ve made.’