Inquest staged into boy’s death
Friday 20th September 2013, 2:50AM BST.
The circumstances surrounding the death of a four-year-old boy will be heard today at an inquest.
Sean Turner died in March last year from a brain haemorrhage after previously suffering a cardiac arrest while a patient at Bristol Children’s Hospital.
His death at the hospital came six weeks after he underwent vital corrective heart surgery.
The boy’s parents Stephen and Yolanda, from Warminster, Wiltshire, claim their son’s death was not isolated and maintain that other children with heart problems have died at the hospital.
In particular they claim children on Ward 32 are in danger because of staff shortages and lack of proper training.
“All we want is the truth,” Mr Turner said last year.
“After the nightmare we lived through with Sean we deserve nothing less than the truth. That is vitally important for other families as well.
“Other families should not have to suffer what we suffered. This shouldn’t be swept under the carpet and forgotten and things left to go on unchanged.”
Mr and Mrs Turner claim ward hygiene was poor, staff were incompetent and that Sean was neglected to the point where he had an avoidable cardiac arrest.
The hospital trust has previously defended its mortality record.
Chief executive Robert Woolley said: “Despite these risks and the complex needs of the children we care for, we have results among the best in England.
“A comparative outcomes assessment for 2000-2008 undertaken as part of a recent Safe and Sustainable review showed that the Bristol service has the third best mortality rates when mortality rates are compared between the 11 current surgical centres in England.”
The inquest will take place at Avon Coroner’s Court at Flax Bourton, near Bristol.