How do we fix GTA 5 crashes when loading Story Mode? GTA V is a fun game, but if you’ve ever played it, you’ll know it crashes occasionally. While the game isn’t really “crashing,” the screen will load in black, and nothing else will happen. In this post, I’ll walk you through the steps to fix the issue.
Try these simple tricks if you find your GTA V not loading:
- Trick 1: Launch the game usually, close the game and start it again from Steam
- Trick 2: Delete the game’s cache
- Trick 3: Restart your system device
- Trick 4: Force close the game on your PC by pressing ctrl + alt + delete and launch it again
- Trick 5: Run the game as an Administrator
- Trick 6: Update the drivers
GTA 5 Crashes When Loading Story Mode
We will show you how to fix the GTA 5 story mode loading crash issue. I’ll also tell you why this happens and what’s causing it.
How to fix GTA 5 crashing on loading screen
- Tip 1: Try updating your video card drivers. If that doesn’t work, try updating your game.
- Tip 2: Check for errors in your RAM. If your RAM is faulty, it could be causing the crash.
- Tip 3: Run a virus scan.
- Tip 4: Try running in safe mode on Steam. If the problem is still there, then it could be a driver or hardware issue.
- Tip 5: Try installing a fresh copy of the game.
- Tip 6: Launch the game in Administrator mode.
GTA 5 crashes when loading story mode with mods
GTA 5 is a very popular game and has many different mods. Some mods add content and features to the game, while others simply fix some bugs or lag. Using mods incompatible with the game could cause the game to crash when loading in story mode.
So, the best way to fix this error is to uninstall the mods that aren’t compatible with your game or device. So how do we know if they are compatible or not? We advise installing each mod seperately instead of pulling it all at once.
Why does GTA 5 crash on loading screen?
GTA 5 has a memory leak that causes the game to crash on loading screens. After 15 minutes to an hour of play, you notice stutters and delays. After that, the game becomes unplayable, occasionally freezing for 3-5 seconds before returning. The bug doesn’t surge only when we are playing but also when we launch the game for the first time of the day.
GTA V crashes when loading saved game
By far, there isn’t a definite fix for crashes when loading saved games. But, you can try the tricks we mentioned above to see if it helps improve the situation. Also, you can try running the game in high-priority mode.
- Step 1: Press ctrl + alt + delete to access Task Manager
- Step 2: At the bottom of the Task Manager window, click on More details
- Step 3: In the Process tab, you will find a list of running apps and software. Right-click on GTA V and choose Go to details
- Step 4: Now you will see another list of software and apps running, search for GTA V and right click it again, and choose Set Priority
- Step 5: Choose a higher priority level: Above normal, high, or realtime. GTA V should have better performance now.
GTA online crashes on loading screen
- Tip 1: Try upgrading the drivers for your video card. If that fails, try upgrading your game.
- Tip 2: Examine your RAM for faults. If your RAM is bad, this might be the source of the problem.
- Tip 3: Perform a virus scan.
- Tip 4: On Steam, try running in safe mode. If the problem persists, it might be a driver or hardware issue.
- Tip 5: Install a new copy of the game.
- Tip 6: Run the game as Administrator.
GTA V crashes without error
If you are experiencing GTA V crashing, please make sure that your computer meets the minimum requirements and that it is not running any other programs at the time.
GTA V Stuck On Loading Story Mode
Several glitches can occur when you try to play GTA V, including crashes and freezing. If you’re having issues with GTA V, this guide will help you fix it.
GTA V stuck on loading story mode PC
- Install the game: Make sure you have all the latest updates installed.
- Check your internet connection: Are you connected to the internet? If so, try switching to another network. If you’re not connected to the internet, try connecting to a wireless router
- Check your video drivers: If you have an NVIDIA graphics card, ensure you’re using the latest driver
- Update your video card: If you have a video card that’s more than two years old, update it to the latest driver. You can do this by going to your device’s settings and opening the “update” menu
- Update your operating system: Make sure you have the latest updates for Windows 10
GTA V stuck on loading story mode PS4
- Step 1: Restart your console: Press and hold the power button on your console until you see the red power light go off. Then press the power button again to turn it back on. This will restart your console and hopefully fix your problem.
- Step 2: Remove all add-ons.
- Step 3: Update your system through the PlayStation Network.
- Step 4: Connect your console to the game again.
GTA V stuck on loading story mode PS3
The fix is the same on PS3 and PS4. Check the instructions above to fix GTA V stuck on loading story mode!
How To Exit Story Mode On GTA 5 PC
If you’re playing story mode, you have to save your progress and quit the game as you would typically do with any other app. Other than that, if you want to quickly exit the game, just click on Setting when you are in the game, and you should see a Quit button.
How To Restart Story Mode In GTA 5
Because GTA 5 lacks the traditional start screen, players will have to enter the story mode or any other game mode to play first. When you start the game, it loads the most recent save. Then, players can pause the game and access the menu.
Follow these steps to restart your Story Mode in GTA 5
- Step 1: Open GTA 5 and play normally for a few seconds
- Step 2: Navigate to the pause menu
- Step 3: Find the “Game” tab.
- Step 4: Select “New Game” and confirm your choice. This will bring your game progress back to the start. Remember that you can’t recover what you have deleted. So think carefully before restarting your Story Mode.
GTA Online There Has Been An Error Joining A Session
- Step 1: Restart your computer or console, then restart the game
- Step 2: Check your Internet connection
- Step 3: Play online for a few minutes before jumping into single-player mode, and vice versa (do this several times)
- Step 4: Upgrade your PC and console with the most recent system updates
- Step 5: Check for GTA updates and install the most recent version
- Step 6: Try loading in Story Mode. If you’re playing GTA V Online on PC, ensure sure your antivirus or firewall isn’t preventing you from playing.
Why is GTA only loading story mode?
If you enter the game, you will see that there is an online mode option at the bottom right corner of the game. Click there, and it should take you to the online server.
How long does GTA story mode take to load?
It should only take under 1 minute for the game to load. You should check your internet connection or restart the game if it takes longer.
How do I get my car back after being destroyed in GTA 5 story mode?
You must buy a tracker and insurance for your car as soon as possible (before having your vehicle broken). Then, call Mors Mutual from your contact, and we will tow your vehicle and fix it. If other players destroy your car, you will have it fixed for free.
It’s me, Leo B. Hurdle. I’ve always loved video games since I was a kid. Since I love writing as well, I knew I must pursue this combination when I realized I could combine both.
I graduated from Cornell University in 2012. Initially, I worked in game design, but eventually became a game writer. Since about five years, I’ve been writing games. My experience ranges from first-person shooters to puzzle games, and I’ve loved every minute of it.
I spend too much time playing online games. Roleplaying games are also my favorite. It’s fun to get lost in another world and become someone else. Playing it is a great way to escape reality.